Steve Arnett BSW MSW RSW
MNBC Registered Citizen
Certifications and Professional Expertise:
Professionally trained and Registered Social Worker with a variety of ‘Life Long Learning’ training and certifications related to Indigenous Research Methods, Aboriginal Health and Wellbeing, Youth Resilience, Successful Transitions to Adulthood, Youth Addiction/Mental Health supports, Trauma and Abuse , Suicide and Critical Incident Response, Poverty, Homelessness and Community Economic Development.
With over 37 years in professional practice as a senior officer, Steve has developed extensive, efficient, program design skills and business experience in program delivery at the organizational management, supervisory , HR and financial control levels in both the government and community social services sector. He possesses a demonstrated and in-depth working knowledge of community based programs, specialized services, funding and community resources, Post -Secondary teaching, board/business/community relations.
- Nanaimo Youth Services Association – Chief Executive Officer retired: 2000-2017
- Town of Ladysmith – current third term Elected Municipal Councillor: 2008-2018
- Government of British Columbia: (Order in Council) MA appointments: 1998-2000
- ACT II Child and Family and Services – Executive Director: 1998
- Cowichan Valley Community Living Association: Director of Programs and Services 1993-1998
- University of Calgary – Instructor Faculty of SOWK :Canadian Social Policy 1991-1993
- Alberta Children and Family Services – Contract Services Manager 1985-1993
- Alberta Children and Family Services – Child Welfare Family Support 1982-1985
- City of Calgary – Youth Team Leader 1979-1981
Professional and Volunteer Affiliations:
- Alberta College of Social Workers – Registered Member 1985 to date
- British Columbia Association of Social Workers – Member 2016
- Centre for Indigenous Research and Community Engagement – Community Member
- Island Corridor Foundation – current liaison Town of Ladysmith
- Mid Isle Metis’ Nation – former Executive Board Member
- Tillicum Selum Housing Board – current Executive Board Member
- Vancouver Island Regional Library – current Executive Board Member
- Vancouver Island University Social Work Advisory Committee – 2013 -2017 Advisory Board Member for degree accreditation
‘2016 Home Depot Orange Door Foundation ($25,000)’ – recipient capitol grant for Youth Homelessness Initiatives.
‘2015 Home Depot Orange Door Award ($25,000)’ – original recipient of the first 4 national award winners of ongoing Home Depot Orange Door Foundation grants for Youth Homelessness Initiatives
‘2014 Award of Excellence’ Heritage Building’ – Vancouver Island Real Estate Board – NYSA renovation Homeless Youth Housing Project
‘2013 Award of Excellence’ Service Provision’ – B.C. Representative for Children and Youth
‘2010 Sterling Business Achievement Award’ – Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce
‘2008 citation Staying True Staying the Course’ – Carrold Institute for the Advancement of Citizenship and Social Change.
‘2007 Non Profit Award’ – Coastal Credit Union Award
‘2005/06 Caring Community Award’ – Nanaimo Social Development Committee